Sunday, September 23, 2012

iPhone 5 Memes & Art!

I was able to find quite a few memes and fan art related to the iPhone 5 and also just iPhones in general.  Also not surprising, I found a lot of anti-apple related material as well.  I'm quite the Apple fan, as mentioned in my earlier post, however to make this as unbiased as possible, I will include some memes and fan art to show the sides both for and against the Apple iPhone 5.

For my first, I will show a meme that rings true for all devout Apple fans.  When a new product is released, most will jump right in and buy whatever that product may be.  I feel this meme adequately portrays this situation :)


Next, let's take a look at a meme from the other side of the spectrum.  This meme would have been created by someone anti-Apple, claiming that all their products are pretty much the same, having only slight differences.  Plus, I love Zoolander, so I had to include this!


Here's one that I just thought was funny!


My piece(s) of fan art will be in 3 parts to show the evolution of something I that I recently saw in the news regarding Apple and Samsung and their everlasting battle.  Below is the print advertisement that Samsung released shortly following the announcement of the new iPhone 5.  The purpose of the ad is to show that "It Doesn't Take a Genius" to know that the Galaxy S III is better than the new iPhone 5.  See below the picture for the rest of the story.


Loyal Apple fans were obviously not too pleased with Samsung for doing this, so they "released" a rebuttal ad promoting the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S III.  To do so, they quickly crossed out the features that were identical between the two phones, and added commentary on the right side to give reasons behind why Samsung has done some things and predictions on what they will do in the future to further copy Apple.  They also added comical text throughout the ad to make Samsung just seem like a "bully" who is "Copying the Future".


 Finally, Apple fans completely changed the whole appearance of the ad with different text on the top and bottom to promote the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S III.  Personally, I think they should have also changed the pictures of the phones as well, to make the iPhone 5 look more appealing than the Samsung phone.

4 comments:

Shirley S Page said...

I never watched the Simpsons, but I am very familiar with it and that meme I find to be hillarius. I have a cousin that may have been he creator of the meme, he loves both Apple and the Simpsons that much. I found the fan art to be rather enlightening. I'm a fan of Samsung, but I have never gotten one of their smart phones before. I have also always been impressed with the iPhone since it first came out years ago, I just never got one. It's interesting to see the competition and responses to it.

Megan said...

I love the fan art battle thing series. The way it originated as an actual ad really speaks to the principles of new media- anybody can take it and add to it and repost, and others can build on it.

Branden said...

I can't think of many things that are more polarizing than Apple products. I saw the original Samsung ad and the subsequent onslaught of fan responses, and I must say that I wasn't surprised by the lack of respect that was shown.

Megan makes a great point about new media principles. That has been the most interesting thing for me as we have studied memes--the fact that they evolve and become new endlessly. I bet a majority of memes can be traced back to a handful of "parent memes" that started it all!

I also am intrigued by the simplicity of these (as well as most other) memes/fan art. Like the rolling pin one. The message is screaming, but it is so simply presented. Very cool.

The rest of what I have to say has nothing to do with the class or new media principles, but I want to say it anyway! First, I am a huge Apple fan, and will likely buy the iPhone soon. But I am disappointed in both Apple and "other" fans by how close-minded they are! Apple fan-boys are almost saying "iPhone rules the Earth! Anything else is shit!" I mean, really? Maybe one or the other has a couple different features than the competing product... But it just amazes me how crazy fan-boys will get about loving their product and HATING the others.

Anonymous said...

y tho

Post a Comment

 

Team Two Totality © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner